While The Town of Georgina as it is today has only existed since 1986, the municipalities
that were brought together to form Georgina are rich in Loyalist history, dating back to
the late 1700's.
Pefferlaw and the Old Mill
Captain William Johnson, a retired naval officer from Scotland, settled in what is now
known as Pefferlaw in 1819. Johnson chose the name Pefferlaw after a field on the Old
Homestead, and means "a beautiful greensward". Retirement soon turned into industry, as
Captain Johnson built a saw mill, woollen mill and grist mill in the area.
With the help of his brother Robert, Captain Johnson built the first Pefferlaw store in
1833. Although many of the buildings have since been replaced, reminders of Pefferlaw's
historic past are still clearly evident today.
St. George's Anglican Church
The original structure on the site was a modest wooden church built under the supervision
of Mr. John Mills Jackson, after whom the community of Jackson's Point is named. One
feature of note was the beautiful east window, which was crafted and presented by the
daughters of Governor Lord Graves Simcoe.
St. George's Memorial, a stone structure built by the sons of Susan Sibbald eventually
replaced the original wooden church. The Sibbald family donated the land for the original
structure. The newer church features hand-cut stones. Each was inspected carefully to
prevent the use of a stone containing iron. A unique feature of this church in stone on
the west side which escaped the watchful eye of the Sibbalds. Its rust stains are clearly
evident and provide an insight into the building methods of our ancestors. The church was
finished in time for the first service, which was held June 10, 1877, delivered by the
Rector, Canon Ritchie.
Roche's Point Anglican Church
This is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful and historic buildings in
Georgina. Reverend Walter Stennet of Upper Canada constructed the building in 1862 and
gave the first service in 1863.
The Red Barn Theatre
The Red Barn Theatre is Canada's oldest summer stock theatre. The barn was built in 1876,
and rented by the Sibbalds to Alfred Mulock and his wife, actress Steffi Lock to be
converted into a theatre in 1949. Today the Red Barn Theatre is home to excellent summer
entertainment of national scope, all the while retaining its rustic character and ambience.